Thursday 28 August 2014

Thankful Thursday -- Camping Edition



Oh, what a wonderful, fast week it's been! Even faster because we took off for a few nights to go camping with some great friends. This Thankful Thursday will  be camping themed, so let's get started!
This week I'm thankful for:


1. Campfires. The smell. The ambiance. The feeling of community around the fire. The treats! All of it. I love it. And I'm especially thankful that the campfire ban at the provincial park we camped at was lifted! It still would've been a fun trip, but way more lame without a campfire.

2. Our GIANT tent (thanks Dana). I called it our condominium a few times. It's huge, and definitely fit the 4 occupants with plenty of space.

3. Good sleepers. Thomas and Elliott had never been camping before, and for their first time I'd say they did great sleeping in the tent. They were both pretty resistant to the sleeping bags (too confining?), but by the second night had resolved to just get used to it or be cold. Elliott wouldn't sleep on his own, and demanded to sleep in my bed with me, which was okay, since Josh couldn't stay the nights (he had to work).

4. Camping Food. Marshmallows, chocolate, graham crackers. Yum.

5. Helping hands. Altogether we were a group of 10. It was great to be able to spread the kids between us all. 4 kids between 6 adults is a great ratio.

6. Puppy friends. Echo would've had a good time camping with us without a friend, but he had a great time since his pal Lily was there with us. So much puppy cuteness.

7. Bug spray. I think because we were super far from the water it probably reduced the amount of mosquitos we encountered, and the bug spray held off the rest. I only got 1 mosquito bite. Thats a record for me. They usually eat me alive.

8. Dollar store crafts. I picked up a craft for the kids to occupy themselves when we weren't off exploring, and they all had a great time making their own animal puppets. They had a choice between a lion, a monkey, or a hippo. I'm pretty sure each kid make all 3, and proceeded to play "jungle" in the trees between campsites.

9. No rain. We had excellent weather. Not too hot, not too cold. It was great.

10. The "White Noise Machine" app I have on my phone. I forgot I had it the first night there, and I really wish I'd remembered it. We had some neighbors on a different site that were up until 2am. Rude. I was pretty ready to go over and tell them to knock it off by the time they'd started to wind down. The second night I remembered I had the app and was happy to turn it on when I went to bed. If the neighbors were noisy, I wouldn't have known. White Noise for the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment